Refreshing Rhubarb Salad
Nearly everyone I know has rhubarb in their garden, so it is indeed plentiful each spring. I've had this recipe in my scrapbook for years and serve it often at potlucks.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Mayonnaise, fresh mint and additional strawberries, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the rhubarb, water and sugar to
- a boil. Cook, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in the
- orange juice and peel.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in strawberries. Pour
- into a 2-qt. bowl; chill until set. If desired, garnish with a
- dollop of mayonnaise, mint and strawberries. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 91 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.