Nearly everyone I know has rhubarb in their garden, so it is indeed plentiful each spring. I've had this recipe in my scrapbook for years and serve it often at potlucks.
Recommended: Our Favorite Summer Fruit Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Mayonnaise, fresh mint and additional strawberries, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the rhubarb, water and sugar to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in the orange juice and peel.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in strawberries. Pour into a 2-qt. bowl; chill until set. If desired, garnish with a dollop of mayonnaise, mint and strawberries. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Refreshing Rhubarb Salad in Country April/May 1997, p49
Reviews forRefreshing Rhubarb Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2014
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2008
"easy to make, refreshing tart. We served with cook whip instead of may to bring out the sweetness."