Refreshing Rhubarb Ice Cream
No matter where my family is stationed, this rhubarb recipe always makes me think of my parents’ backyard garden in Rochester, New York. —Rachel Garcia, Fort Knox, Kentucky
5 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish,
- combine rhubarb and sugar; toss to combine. Bake, covered, 30-40
- minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Place rhubarb mixture in a blender; cover and process until pureed.
- Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Stir lemon juice into rhubarb. In a small bowl, beat cream until
- stiff peaks form; fold into rhubarb mixture. Transfer to a shallow
- 1-qt. freezer container. Freeze 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Freeze, covered, overnight or until firm. Yield: about 2-3/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 489 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.