Refreshing Cranberry Ice
This slightly tangy treat tops off a big holiday meal in a refreshing way...and its dark pink color adds a festive look to any table! :My grandma used to make it each year, and the grandkids would fight over who got the last of it," shares Natalie Berg from her home in Midland, Michigan.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring cranberries and water to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until the berries pop.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain cranberries through a food mill into a large bowl,
- discard seeds and skin. Add the sugar, orange juice, lemon juice and
- softened gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in cream.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and freeze for 3-4 hours or
- until firm. Yield: 7 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 191 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.