- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon peel strip (about 2 inches wide)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 medium Bosc pears (about 6 ounces each)
- Creme fraiche or sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil; add cranberries. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Add to pan, in a single layer on their sides. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until pears are almost tender, turning occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain pears; reserving poaching liquid and cranberries. Remove peppercorns. Place pears on dessert plates; drizzle with reserved poaching liquid. Top with cranberries and crème fraiche, if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Red Wine & Cranberry Poached Pears in Country Woman October/November 2014
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Red Wine & Cranberry Poached Pears
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review