Red Velvet Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips, melted
- Finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cooled chocolate.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- Drizzle with melted baking chips; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies(14)
Sort By :
YUMMY! What a treat! You need not use clear vanilla extract, regular vanilla extract works fine. If you own a silicone baking mat ("Silpat" as the brand name calls them) just use that & don't worry about the parchment paper. Do not overcook them!
YUM! These are delicious.
Omg!!! I loved making this recipe. I just made a dozen for my family and myself. I found imitation clear vanilla extract I guess that was ok? I used the butter vanilla as well in the icing. I baked my cookies for 9 minutes and they didn't crumble. I'll make these for my next office party!
Very good & yummy. My friends all like it. Will make this again with my famly. Thanks TOH.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Cookies >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >