Red Velvet Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips, melted
- Finely Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cooled chocolate.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- Drizzle with melted baking chips; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies(12)
Sort By :
YUM! These are delicious.
Omg!!! I loved making this recipe. I just made a dozen for my family and myself. I found imitation clear vanilla extract I guess that was ok? I used the butter vanilla as well in the icing. I baked my cookies for 9 minutes and they didn't crumble. I'll make these for my next office party!
Very good & yummy. My friends all like it. Will make this again with my famly. Thanks TOH.
Amazing! Not as red as expected. I made little ones and larger ones! So adorable!
I have made these cookies four or five times at this point and they are excellent. They are chocolaty, rich, flavorful, and they present beautifully. I followed the recipe to the letter and they have come out perfectly each time. Requests for them keep coming. I'm not sure how others' fell apart. Five stars.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Cookies >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >