- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips, melted
- Finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cooled chocolate.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- Drizzle with melted baking chips; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Sort By :
Very good. Made theses for a party and did not come home with any.
Pros: Very soft & moist.
Cons: Red color is not right- comes out as a dirty, dark red. Not really flavorful.
YUMMY! What a treat! You need not use clear vanilla extract, regular vanilla extract works fine. If you own a silicone baking mat ("Silpat" as the brand name calls them) just use that & don't worry about the parchment paper. Do not overcook them!
YUM! These are delicious.