Red Velvet Whoopie Pies Recipe
Everyone gets a kick out of this fun take on the trendy cake. Take a shortcut and use packaged cream cheese frosting for the filling. —Judi Dexheimer, Sturgeon Bay, WI
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips, melted
- Finely chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cooled chocolate.
- 2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- 4. Drizzle with melted baking chips; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until serving.
- 5. Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill and decorate as directed. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 whoopie pie equals 272 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC