- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips, melted
- Finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cooled chocolate.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
Drizzle with melted baking chips; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until serving.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill and decorate as directed. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Sort By :
"OK. Better the next day. they are really small, like a little ball about 3" in diameter. They're a lot of work for something I didn't think tasted amazing, but like I said, they are better the next day. I prefer the red velvet cookie recipe with white chocolate chips- way easier and better tasting."
"These are great. They have a great cocoa flavor. I have never made anything red velvet before, and I would consider them a success."
"Very good. Made theses for a party and did not come home with any."
"Pros: Very soft & moist.Cons: Red color is not right- comes out as a dirty, dark red. Not really flavorful."