Who doesn't love red velvet cake? These pancakes are my excuse to have this delectable treat for breakfast! We make it a tradition at Christmastime to have a lazy pancake breakfast and read the enchanting fables in Letters from Father Christmas penned by J.R.R. Tolkien for his children. —Sue Brown, West Bend, Wisconsin
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 6 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- Butter and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place 2 cups in each of five resealable plastic bags or containers. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups mix).
- To prepare pancakes: Pour mix into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and food coloring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup. Yield: 16 pancakes per batch.
Originally published as Red Velvet Pancakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p174
Reviews for Red Velvet Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review