- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; stir in cocoa and food coloring until blended. Alternately drop plain and chocolate batters by 1/4 cupfuls into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly between pans. To make batter level in pans, bang cake pans several times on counter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Red Velvet Marble Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Red Velvet Marble Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review