- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and food coloring.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until blended. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Crumble eight cookies and set aside.
- Frost remaining cookies; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 1 month. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Cookies
Sort By :
"I had high hopes for these cookies as I LOVE red velvet. Planned on red cookies with green sprinkles. However, these cookies tasted like flour and crumbled in our mouths. I baked the next batch for less time thinking I may have overbaked them, but those also crumbled. The cream cheese frosting I topped them with was the only thing we liked. Glad we tasted before I sprinkled so I didn't waste them. Will not be making them again."
"This was the one cookie my husband requested I make again this year that he remembered. I wasn't crazy about them but my "Cookie King" husband was. I may try cream cheese frosting though this time ."
"I do not understand the bad reviews some have made. I always make cookies for friends and also sell them at Christmas time. This yer, this was one of the "new" cookies that I decided to try. They were were loved by my friends at the church I attend and several people ordered whole batches of these cookies. This is a definate cookie to save!"
"These cookies just weren't as moist as I had hoped. The flavor was good. Overall, lots of work for a cookie which wasn't that special."
"So many ingredients - not a favorite with my family - did not like the taste of them - will not make again."