Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
These unique cookies have been a part of our holiday tradition for as long as I can remember. My mother made them when I was little, and now I often bake a batch for my own family.—Mindy Young, Hanover, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling YIELD:90 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and food coloring.
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 4. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until blended. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Crumble eight cookies and set aside.
- 6. Frost remaining cookies; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 1 month. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 124 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC