- 17 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in food coloring. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Red Velvet Cheesecake
Sort By :
"I never use the water bath when making cheesecake. Used chocolate graham crackers for the crust, didn't add as much food coloring after reading comments, added melted white chocolate to the frosting and toasted pecans on top. It turned out perfect, was done at 50 minutes. And was all gone by end of day. The cheesecake was very creamy and had a great cheesecake taste. Thank you, family favorite now!"
"This would make an excellent **celebration dessert**. Veryimpressive!"
"I have made Red Velvet Cheesecakes for years. To simplify process, I use the ready made Oreo Keebler pie crust-gives this cheesecake the perfect balance. Also, after adding the topping, I sprinkle chopped pecans over it. This is a very good holiday pie or for a special gathering. Ncann"
"I saw your recipe earlier this year and couldn't print it. When I finally got a new printer ...I couldn't find your recipe again. Where can I find your recipe? I typed in red velvet cheesecake in TOH but your beautiful recipe didn't come up. It is such a pretty one. I'd love to make it for my daughter's birthday. Cheers, Pam"