Red Velvet Cheesecake Recipe
Festive and oh-so-good, this cheesecake will become a fixture on your Christmas dessert menu. The red velvet filling is spiked with cocoa, topped with cream cheese frosting, and baked in a chocolate cookie crumb crust. —Karen Dively, Chapin, South Carolina
- 17 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in food coloring. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- 5. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 463 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC