- 2-1/2 pound unpeeled small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 cups milk
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute the onion, celery and bacon until vegetables are tender; drain well. Add the milk, water, bouillon, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into soup. Add parsley and potatoes; bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Red Potato Soup
Sort By :
"I modified this one from the beginning because I wanted to use a ham steak and red potatoes that I had on hand. I also eliminated the water and cooked my potatoes in chicken broth. I used the remaining chicken broth with the milk to reduce the calories while still keeping good flavor. I also added thinly sliced carrots as well. So the base for the soup is still there and it turned out great. Much of my changes were to make sure it was a hearty yet somewhat healthy soup for my mother-in-law."
"I made this recipe for my family last night. It was a complete hit!!! Everyone raved about it! I have read some of the negative reviews and all I have to say is this: Nobody says you can't modify the ingredients to satisfy your family's preference and make it your own! I, however, made it using the instructions provided since I had not made it before. It was wonderful and we have lots left over! Yummy!"
"I signed up for an account just to save someone else from making this recipe. As I started making this, I knew these proportions were way off - 8 cups of milk, 4 cups of water AND a cup of cream AND 1.5 cubes of butter?? This uses way to much liquid for potato soup! Try reducing the liquid and then you don't need to make the fatty roux to thicken it. There are much better/easier/healthy recipes out there for potato soup. I was mad this wasted so many ingredients and my valuable time. Inedible."
"This was the WORST recipe I've ever tried for Potato Soup! It taste like gravy. I could only handle one bite and couldn't stand it. My husband wouldn't even touch it."
"I love making soup and using online receipies. This is the first time I had a major dislike. I was excited with the high reviews, although its only a few people but was very upset after. I wasted 8 cups of organic milk, not to mention heavy cream and everything else! My husband didn't like it and I could only handle one bite. I tossed it all away. I'm not new to cooking or to following receipies, normally I use allreceipy website but decide to try this soup on here. The soup was simular to basically cereal, floating potatoes with some other things in milk. I'm glad others seem to be enjoying it but I would not recommend this to anyone! You also end up wasting so much product!"