- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 cups water
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Finely chop peppers.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add tomatoes; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place tomatoes in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In the same pan, combine the roasted peppers, tomatoes, Anaheim pepper and garlic; heat through. Stir in the broth and vinegar; heat through. Stir in basil. Cool slightly.
- In small batches, puree soup in a blender. Return to the pan and heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Red Pepper Tomato Soup in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006, p16
Reviews for Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review