Red Pepper Soup Recipe
While I don't have scientific proof of it, Red Pepper Soup works for me as a head cold remedy! It is a good gift to take when visiting a sick friend, too. For a pretty touch, top the soup with grated cheese and parsley. We enjoy it with jalapeno cheese buns. You can also serve it with warm garlic bread. -Barb Nelson, Victoria, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 6 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (one 49-1/2 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute red peppers, carrots, onions, celery and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2. Stir in the broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables and rice are tender.
- 3. Cool for 30 minutes. Puree in small batches in a blender; return to pan. Add red pepper flakes; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC