Red Pepper Soup Recipe
- 6 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (one 49-1/2 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute red peppers, carrots, onions, celery and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables and rice are tender.
- Cool for 30 minutes. Puree in small batches in a blender; return to pan. Add red pepper flakes; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Red Pepper Soup
Sort By :
"I really dislike it when people alter the recipe; however, I think the revisions we made did not really alter the flavor. We did not blend the mixture so that it would still have texture. We added chicken so that it would be a meal. The taste was great. My husband and I both agree on this recipe and really like it. It freezes well too like the previous person stated."
"Great-tasting, unique soup that was easy to make. I roasted the red peppers under the broiler and then removed the skins and seeds while the other veggies were cooking, and then added the peppers. Instead of waiting for the soup to cool and pureeing in a blender, I used an immersion blender right in the pan. We served it with a loaf of beer bread for the meal."
"I made this soup last year and put some of the extra in the freezer. My husband loved the soup the first time around, it reheated very well and tasted awesome. My husband too it to work with him and had it with tuna sands! My father in law had some that day too and gave rave reviews! Thank you for this recpie we will make it often :)"