Red Pepper Onion Relish Recipe
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute red pepper and onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the wine or broth, basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are golden brown, stirring often. Yield: 1 cup.
1/3 cup: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Red Pepper Onion Relish
"This was delicious and very easy. I served it over grilled Italian Sausages and my family loved it. The only thing I did different was that I added one green pepper and I used a yellow onion. It took 20-30 minutes for the peppers and onions to carmelize. This worked perfect for the grilling time of the sausages!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.