“This relish makes the most of sweet red peppers and tangy, caramelized onions,” notes field editor Trisha Kruse of Eagle, Idaho. “Don't be surprised if your picky 'veggie avoiders' go back for seconds.”
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute red pepper and onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the wine or broth, basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are golden brown, stirring often. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Red Pepper Onion Relish in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p61
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Red Pepper Onion Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review