These moist, spicy muffins boast as much flavor as color. They go great with soups and salads, says Agnes Ward of Stratford, Ontario. Substitute a can of chopped green chilies for the jalapenos for less heat.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, patted dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and sour cream. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, red peppers and jalapenos. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Red Pepper Jalapeno Muffins in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p26
Reviews for Red Pepper Jalapeno Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review