Red Pepper Cornmeal Souffle Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Add the milk. Bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; whisk constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the cornmeal mixture to the egg yolks; mix well. Return all to saucepan.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cornmeal mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. souffle dish.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 193 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Red Pepper Cornmeal Souffle
"Super Souffle! Nice southwest flavor with the peppers. I reduce the onion, added some tomato and mushroom to or family's prefer taste. The sharp cheddar flavor and cornmeal texture was wonderful."