- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Broil red pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin is blistered, about 6 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; set pepper aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the carrots, onion and rice in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, water, orange juice, dill, orange peel, salt, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots and rice are tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree carrot mixture and roasted pepper in small batches. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Red Pepper Carrot Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p40
Reviews for Red Pepper Carrot Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 7, 2013
"This is the best tasting carrot soup I have had.Made it up twice this week and will make some more in a couple of days.Will be giving this recipe along with a pound or so of our home grown carrots to a friend."
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
"Very unique taste. Keeps you guessing at the different flavors while it keeps you eating. Delicious!!"