Red Pepper Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 French bread baguette (about 12 ounces)
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool.
- 2. Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 10 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- 3. Peel off and discard charred skin. Coarsely chop peppers. Cut top off garlic head, leaving root end intact. Squeeze softened garlic from bulb and finely chop.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the parsley, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Add peppers and garlic; mix well. Cut bread into 16 slices, 1/2 in. thick; broil until lightly toasted. Top with pepper mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (2 slices of bread with 2 tablespoons pepper mixture) equals 161 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 408 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.