Red Onion Rings
DELICIOUS and yummy describes these onion rings. Not only does the batter coat well, but fries up light and crunchy, with a little kick from the secret ingredient, cayenne.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut onion into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow
- bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons flour, egg white, buttermilk, salt and
- cayenne until blended. Coat onion rings with remaining flour, then
- dip in buttermilk mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- onion rings, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until
- golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2 servings.