- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 packages (1 pound each) dried red lentils, rinsed and dried
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- Combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 2/3 cup lentils in each of four 12-oz. jelly jars or cellophane gift bags. Evenly divide onion mixture among jars; top with another scant 2/3 cup lentils. Store in a cool, dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- To prepare one batch: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add soup mix and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 10-15 minutes. Yield: 4 batches/4 cups per batch.
Originally published as Red Lentil Soup Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p163
Reviews for Red Lentil Soup Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review