Red Lentil Soup Mix Recipe
The heroine, Marjan, of Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran wins over the townspeople of rural Irish community with her Red Lentil Soup. Savory a steaming bowlful of your own fragrant lentil soup absorbed in Marjan's saga.—
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 pounds dried red lentils
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 2/3 cup lentils in each of four 12-ounce jelly jars or cellophane gift bags. Evenly divide onion mixture among jars and top with another scant 2/3 cup lentils. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- 2. To prepare one batch of soup: In a large saucepan, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add soup mix and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Yield: 4 cups per batch.
1 cup equals 255 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 733 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 18 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC