Red Lentil Soup Mix Recipe
Give your friends the gift of good health. Red lentils are a protein powerhouse, and loaded with folate, iron and fiber. Oh, and this soup tastes amazing, too.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 packages (1 pound each) dried red lentils, rinsed and dried
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1. Combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 2/3 cup lentils in each of four 12-oz. jelly jars or cellophane gift bags. Evenly divide onion mixture among jars; top with another scant 2/3 cup lentils. Store in a cool, dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- 2. To prepare one batch: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add soup mix and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 10-15 minutes. Yield: 4 batches/4 cups per batch.
1 cup: 257 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Red Lentil Soup Mix
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC