Red Lentil Soup Mix Recipe
The heroine, Marjan, of Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran wins over the townspeople of rural Irish community with her Red Lentil Soup. Savory a steaming bowlful of your own fragrant lentil soup absorbed in Marjan's saga.
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 pounds dried red lentils
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 2/3 cup lentils in each of four 12-ounce jelly jars or cellophane gift bags. Evenly divide onion mixture among jars and top with another scant 2/3 cup lentils. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- To prepare one batch of soup: In a large saucepan, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add soup mix and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Yield: 4 cups per batch.
Originally published as Red Lentil Soup Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p163
Reviews for Red Lentil Soup Mix(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review