In Hays, Kansas, Helen Shubert uses red-hot candies to turn ordinary apples into something cinnamony and sensational. The tender treats bake on the grill during dinner. "Then just serve in bowls and top with ice cream," Helen suggests.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Grill: 30 min.
- 4 medium tart apples, cored
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red-hot candies
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place each apple on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (12 in.
- square). Spoon 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon red-hots into the
- center of each apple. Fold foil around apples and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Carefully transfer to
- dessert dishes. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 4