Red-Eye Beef Roast
The addition of hot sauce zips up this cut of meat. It takes me back to spicy dinners I enjoyed as a child in the Southwest. I like to use the leftovers in different dishes-including barbecued beef sandwiches, quesadillas and burritos. —Carol Stevens, Basye, Virginia
10-12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 boneless beef eye of round roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high
- heat; drain. Combine 3/4 cup water, soup mix, vinegar and hot sauce;
- pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3 hours or until tender. Transfer to
- a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before
- For gravy, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into
- meat juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 148 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a