Red Curry Carrot Soup Recipe
With its mix of delicious colors, textures and tastes, this easy soup is something special. The meatballs make it hearty enough to serve as a light entree. —Dilnaz Heckman, Buckley, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 5 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 32 frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs (1/2 ounce each)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- Optional garnishes: bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, chopped fresh basil and green onions
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions (discard seasoning packets or save for another use).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Spoon 1/2 cup cream from top of coconut milk and place in the pan. Add the curry paste, curry powder and turmeric; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until oil separates from coconut milk mixture.
- 3. Stir in the meatballs, broth, zucchini, carrot, cabbage, fish sauce and remaining coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until carrot is tender and meatballs are heated through. Drain noodles; stir into soup.
- 4. Garnish with bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, basil and onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups (calculated without optional garnishes) equals 572 calories, 38 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC