With its mix of delicious colors, textures and tastes, this easy soup is something special. The meatballs make it hearty enough to serve as a light entree. —Dilnaz Heckman, Buckley, Washington
- 5 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 32 frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs (1/2 ounce each)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- Optional garnishes: bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, chopped fresh basil and green onions
- Cook noodles according to package directions (discard seasoning packets or save for another use).
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Spoon 1/2 cup cream from top of coconut milk and place in the pan. Add the curry paste, curry powder and turmeric; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until oil separates from coconut milk mixture.
- Stir in the meatballs, broth, zucchini, carrot, cabbage, fish sauce and remaining coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until carrot is tender and meatballs are heated through. Drain noodles; stir into soup.
- Garnish with bean sprouts, chow mein noodles, basil and onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Red Curry Carrot Soup in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p70
Reviews for Red Curry Carrot Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review