Red Currant Muffins
Currants hold up so nicely baked into these yummy, golden cake-like muffins. The berries add tartness to the sweet mixture. These are great for breakfast, brunch or a snack.Jane Larter, Hallock, Minnesota
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red currants
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in eggs and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt;
- add to the creamed mixture just until blended. Fold in currants.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 375° for 20-25 minutes or a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire
- rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 155 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.