Red Clam Sauce
“This recipe tastes like it's been slaved over all day. Instead, it cooks while you do other things.” What a great way to jazz up pasta sauce! JoAnn Brown - LaTrobe, Pennsylvania
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook
- 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2- or 2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the clams,
- tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaf, sugar, basil and thyme.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Discard
- bay leaf. Serve with linguine. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup sauce with 3/4 cup cooked linguine equals 305 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 553 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 15 g protein.