Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies Recipe
Red sprinkles and a purple frosting sash add flair to these crisp cutout cookies from Patsy Snyder of Rural Hall, North Carolina. For a fun party activity, have guests decorate their own cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red colored sugar or decorating frosting, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 6-in. hat-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Sprinkle with red colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with frosting if desired. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC