Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies
Red sprinkles and a purple frosting sash add flair to these crisp cutout cookies from Patsy Snyder of Rural Hall, North Carolina. For a fun party activity, have guests decorate their own cookies.
60 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red colored sugar or decorating frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and
- extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar;
- gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
- or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll one
- portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 6-in. hat-shaped
- cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat
- with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with red colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 6-8
- minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate with frosting if desired. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium,