Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies Recipe
Red sprinkles and a purple frosting sash add flair to these crisp cutout cookies from Patsy Snyder of Rural Hall, North Carolina. For a fun party activity, have guests decorate their own cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red colored sugar or decorating frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 6-in. hat-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with red colored sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with frosting if desired. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p47
Reviews for Red Chapeau Sugar Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >