- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 1 cup dry red wine or apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or kettle, heat oil and 1/4 cup brown sugar over medium heat. Add garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups cranberries and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until the berries have popped.
- Add cabbage and wine or apple juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt, cayenne and remaining cranberries and brown sugar. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until berries are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage with Cranberries in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p60
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Cranberries(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Condiments >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- German Vegetarian Recipes >
- Pickles & Relishes Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >