Red Cabbage with Apples Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 203 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Apples
"try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions"
"Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sauté onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!"