Red Cabbage with Apples Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 203 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Apples
"try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions"
"Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sauté onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!"