My German grandmother passed this recipe down to my mother, who gave it to me. I remember eating it as a small child. This vegetable dish can be made quickly and goes great with roast pork or barbecued ribs, potatoes and biscuits.
Recommended: Favorite Cabbage Recipes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage with Apples in Country Extra January 1995, p47
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2012
"try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions"
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2010
"Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sauté onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!"