Red Cabbage with Apples Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage with Apples in Country Extra January 1995, p47
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2012
try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2010
Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sautÃ© onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!