Red Cabbage with Apple
This delicious combination has a sweet and tart flavor with a hint of bacon and apple that marries well together.
—Patricia Rutherford, Winchester, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion and apple until tender. Stir in the
- remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved bacon.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 131 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.