Red Cabbage with Apple Recipe
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion and apple until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Red Cabbage with Apple
"Very good!! My husband didn't care for it but then there was just a bit more for me!! I am hosting the Thanksgiving family gathering this year and will opt to include this dish as one of the sides!! I come home well after the dinner hour some work days and have to admit I just warm some up and make a meal of it!!"
"This is excellent! My family has added it as a must have dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas."
"This became a family favorite from day one!"
"Very quick to make, I even ate it cold and it was delicious!"