Since I enjoy spending time with my guests rather than alone in the kitchen, this one's a favorite dish...I've served it with ham, pork and turkey. With its color and eye appeal, I call on it on special days like Christmas or Easter when I'm cooking for a crowd. I'd also recommend it for potlucks. Although my husband and I were "city kids" both born in Toronto, we have been farming since we were married. We have two grown daughters.
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- In a Dutch oven, combine first six ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples; cook 10-15 minutes or until cabbage and apples are tender. Stir in jelly until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage Casserole in Country Woman September/October 1994, p31
Reviews for Red Cabbage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review