Red Cabbage Casserole Recipe
Since I enjoy spending time with my guests rather than alone in the kitchen, this one's a favorite dish...I've served it with ham, pork and turkey. With its color and eye appeal, I call on it on special days like Christmas or Easter when I'm cooking for a crowd. I'd also recommend it for potlucks. Although my husband and I were "city kids" both born in Toronto, we have been farming since we were married. We have two grown daughters.
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine first six ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add apples; cook 10-15 minutes or until cabbage and apples are tender. Stir in jelly until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 80 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC