Red Beans and Sausage
Turkey sausage, beans and a zesty blend of spices make this a deliciously unique meal.Cathy Webster, Morris, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a saucepan, saute garlic, green pepper and onion in oil until
- tender, about 5 minutes. Add the next five ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sausage is
- heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 2/3-cup serving (calculated without rice) equals 221 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.