Red Beans and Sausage Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, saute garlic, green pepper and onion in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the next five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sausage is heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup (calculated without rice) equals 212 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 706 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.