Red Beans and Sausage Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute pepper and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in beans, sausage, Cajun seasoning, pepper sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 5-7 minutes. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup (calculated without rice): 212 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Red Beans and Sausage
"Awesome! my family loved it! only change I made was using Conecuh pork sausage! we really love it in Alabama:)"
"Surprisingly good and very simple and quick to make. I just added a little salt and it was good to go."
"I make this all the time. We use Jalapeno's instead of green peppers. My husband and 7 yr old daughter love this."