Red Beans and Rice with Turkey Kielbasa Recipe
Turkey kielbasa is right at home with red beans and rice in this lighter main dish. The hearty one-pot-meal from our Test Kitchen will satisfy on cool winter nights!
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 6 ounces smoked turkey kielbasa, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. In the same pan, saute the kielbasa, celery, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in the beans, water, bay leaves, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Uncover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until beans reach desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup beans with 1/2 cup rice equals 347 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC