Red Beans and Rice Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled mango or peaches (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup salsa, well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 245 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.