Red Beans and Rice Mix Recipe
Since there's food galore during the holidays themselves, I like giving this zippy mix as an after-Christmas present instead. I just slip the containers of seasoning, beans and rice into a decorative paper bag. A recipe card completes the package.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Combine the first 10 ingredients; place in an airtight container. Place beans and rice in separate containers. Yield: 1 batch.
- 2. To prepare red beans and rice: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 3. Drain. Return beans to pan; add seasoning mix, 2-1/2 cups water and ham hocks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. Remove ham hocks; cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Add the sausage. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until beans are tender and sausage is heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- 5. Meanwhile, combine rice, salt and remaining water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls; top with bean mixture. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC