"I'm originally from Honduras, where beans are served in different variations for breakfast, lunch and dinner," relates Carin Perkins of Waukesha, Wisconsin. "This bean and rice dish has been enjoyed by my family for generations. It's not spicy but gets nice flavor from the cilantro and cumin.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add cilantro; cook and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the beans, salt, cumin and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Red Beans and Rice in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p13
Reviews for Red Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review