Red Beans 'n' Rice with Sausage Recipe
Red beans and rice is classic, comforting fare from my hometown of New Orleans. Our Mardi Gras celebration isn't complete without it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound dried red beans or kidney beans
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Add the ham bone, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Remove ham bone; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone. Discard bone; set meat aside. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and pepper to the bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- 4. Add sausage and reserved ham. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 26 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC