Red Bean Vegetable Soup
The addition of Cajun seasoning boosts the flavor of this brothy soup shared by Ronnie Lappe of Brownwood, Texas. The easy recipe makes a big batch that's loaded with fresh vegetable chunks and canned beans.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the peppers, celery, onions and
- beans. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for
- 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves before
- serving. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 61 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.